1. Do your research
- Compile a list of wants and needs
- Know which vehicles to inquire about
- Read online reviews about the vehicle
- Bring someone with you for your test-drive.
2. Get to know your vehicle
- Walk around and inspect the exterior for cosmetic damage or defective locks
- Practice going in and out of the vehicle. Is it easy? Comfortable? How tall/short is the roof?
- Sit inside, play with the interior systems such as the climate controls, adjustable seats, etc.
- Play around with the infotainment system. Is it easy to use? Easy to pair your smartphone?
- Ask questions throughout the process!
3. Take it out for a spin
- Drive the vehicle how you would, normally
- Test the braking, acceleration, steering of the vehicle.
- Practice passing other vehicles, merging with traffic, and parking the vehicle during your test-drive
- Plan your test-driving route ahead of time to cover your average driving environments such as neighbourhoods, highways, parking lots, etc.
4. Think about it
- Reflect on your test-drive experience.
- What were the pros and cons of the vehicle?
- What are the manufacturer’s warranty terms for parts & service?
- How much will maintenance cost in the long-term for owning the vehicle?
- How much will you be paying for insurance while owning the vehicle?
Most importantly, take your time. Purchasing a vehicle is a very large commitment, so we here at MINI Edmonton understand that it’s a long process. Be prepared, ask us questions, and do everything you can to ensure that the vehicle you’re looking for is the best one for you!